During the termination process, connectors must be cleaved before they can be polished. Laser cleaving increases production yield and connector performance. Laser cleaving has been effectively proven and qualified as more reliable than mechanical connector cleaving. Corning Cable Systems has been using its patented laser cleaving process for many years and has shipped millions of connectors worldwide.
• Mechanical cleaving - operator and tool-dependent
quality (hand-scribe, sand-blasting, etc.)
• Epoxy Bead size - operator and process-dependent quality
• Polishing - sub-optimal initial conditions (overuse of consumables; costly)
• Connector/Fiber-specific challenges - MT, Large OD fiber, SMA's, etc.
• Compromised First Pass Yield, Throughput, Quality, and Cost!
• Laser Cleaving (integrated denubbing and epoxy removal)
Sagitta's new laser based cleaving system eliminates several tedious manual steps in the connector terminating process.
Sagitta's new Comet™ combines cleaving + denubbing + epoxy removal into one simple laser processing based step. The connector is simply placed into the Comet™ machine and a focused C02 laser beam is automatically scanned across the connector end face removing both the fiber stub and epoxy bead in one quick step.
The benefits of laser cleaving serve to:
• Labor, consumables, and rework
Improve end face quality
• Elimination of core cracks and
Highly flexible and enabling tool
• Easily cleaves challenging